FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Reasonable Accomodation for FRA Overnight
Old Apr 21, 2011, 3:05 pm
eponymous_coward
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Kathrin
There are plenty of hotels in Frankfurt centre around Hauptwache, Konstablerwache, and around the central station, from where you reach the airport in 15 minutes by direct commuter train (S-Bahn). No need to stay in a so-called airport hotel out in the sticks where there is nothing to do in the evening.
I can think of a number of reasons why you'd rather have the hotel in the sticks that's convenient to FRA: you're not likely to be going out and touring Frankfurt, because your plane arrives at FRA at around 1 am, Bangkok time, and you plan on being up early to go to the FCT (as the OP says), and take another longhaul flight the next day that will also blow across a bunch of time zones.

If you're traveling light (or heavy, but checking in most of yiour luggage the night before and just keeping an overnight bag, so you're not hauling luggage over downtown Frankfurt) and don't mind losing sleep over nighttime sightseeing, sure, I think using a 12-14 stopover to do grab a hotel room downtown's a fine idea. If all you're planning on doing is laying your head down/relaxing in the hotel room, and going to the FCT in the morning, though, then the airport hotel makes eminent sense (and that is how I usually end my trips to Germany- at the FRA Sheraton). Plus, if you really wanted to go into town, you COULD leave luggage at the airport hotel and head in...