FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wireless/3G laptop card for 1-mo stay in Delhi
Old Apr 19, 2011, 1:09 pm
raj0321

Programs: Delta Gold, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond, Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Yaatri
When I was in Delhi, I talked to Tata. It wasn't quite right for me. When I told them I wanted something that was not locked to Tata, i.e. I could put a SIM from another provider when travelling to other countries. I did not want using Tata while in India. That was not possible. After I got off the phone, a Tata rep called me to say that it could be done, and sent a rep to my house. The rep concurred with the prior information that it could not be done. Even after that Tata continued calling 3G USB dongle in whivh you can put any SIM that's compatible with the bands supported by the dongle. I bought a couple a few weeks ago. It seems to work. I say "seems" as I have not used it after setting up as I don;t subscribe to a data plan here. I plan on using it on my upcoming trip to SE Asia. It's quadband GSM/GPRS and the 3G band on it is the 1900 band, which is used in most of the world.
Advice on a 3G Modem
It gives a lot of flexibility. You could use TAT, Vodaphone, or any other provider in India with this or use another provider in other counries.
Which USB dongle did you buy? The one from Tata in India? What did it cost?

Thanks!