FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United forcing to gate check a bag to destination
Old Apr 17, 2011, 8:32 am
mre5765
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by zombietooth
But, prior to boarding, they [CO employees] announced that anyone whose bag didn't fit in the sizer would have it gate checked and be charged a fee, so they did give fair warning.
I did say in my post, to pack a second bag that fits the sizer, wheels included (and I should have added, handle included).

Not so sure that is fair warning. Some people don't have credit cards and might not have the cash; e.g. an unaccompanied minor. Fair warning would have been to state on the reservation confirmation that carry on bags that do not fit the sizer will be gate checked for a fee, and if the pax cannot pay the fee, his reservation will be canceled, and if non-refundable, his fare is forfeited.

At any rate, there is a big difference between charging a fee for a bag that does not fit the sizer, and a fee for one that does fit, and the GA/FA forces a gate check.

If $MI/J goes so far as to force gate checks of stuff that fits under the seat and in the sizer, he is going to generate a major back lash, and I can see a summons to Congress in his future, especially as November, 2012 approaches.