FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United forcing to gate check a bag to destination
Old Apr 17, 2011, 7:47 am
StingWest

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
What's with all the grammatical advice and angry feelings in this thread?
Yes, the undercurrent of anger is annoying - probably a side effect of one or more of the following:

(a) the airlines are attempting to squeeze every last nickle out of us one at a time by charging for each little thing separately (although I must say that charging for checked bags is not as underhanded as the so-called "fuel surcharge")

(b) passengers, in response to (a), are trying to fight back, save money, and push the envelope of what's deemed an acceptable carry-on.

(c) a result of (b) is that the giant overhead bins fill up fairly quickly, penalizing the flyers who attempt to play by the rules by packing light, and only paying the checked bag fee when necessary.

(d) the FAs, with the strong incentive to get the flight out on time, often err on the side of making more people gate-check bags than are necessary, sometimes even making entire boarding groups gate-check.
---

For me, anyway, it is infuriating when I see someone drag a giant bag on, stow it sideways in a 777 overhead, thereby taking up space for two bags. This is the image that comes to mind when I read the exchanges under this topic, and it's the me-first attitude of that minority of people that irks me to no end.

(but don't ask me how I really feel