FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United forcing to gate check a bag to destination
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:51 pm
fastair

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Agree with you on all points. However, in this case, OP stated that there was plenty of space, seemingly removing the discretion of the FA/GA in that regard. However, since they have all of the power, we are always at their mercy. The only Ace in our hand is a willingness to miss one's flight. The complications resulting from having to find and remove a checked bag in that case can cause even the most strident GA to yield. However, I would never recommend taking any but the most conciliatory tone with them in these situations.
As this is a domestic leg, why would anyone find and remove any checked luggage if you fail to board? When one surrenders a bag to be checked to a destination in the lobby, you accept the fact that the bag will be transported to that destination. The claim check given to you in the lobby as a way to claim it at the destination printed on it kind of confirms that.