FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:03 pm
Yaatri
Suspended

Originally Posted by littlesheep
I'm not a big expert, but my 2¢. I don't see the point of buying something cheap unless you happen to like the taste. Glenfiddich is awful, IMO.

I think smooth ones that probably appeal to most palates are Balvenie, a 12 yr old, and Glenmorangie, say a 10 or 12 yr old. There are severeal variations. They're reasonably priced. Your goal should be to sip a bit, not to down the entire bottle.
I have had only two kinds of single malt. Glenliviet on a JFK-SEA flight in F and Glenfiddich at a friend's house. I liked Glenlivet. I am, rather was, not a whisky person. I never liked whisky. I tried Teachers, Johny Walker Black, Chivas, and Dewars. Just didn't develop any taste for it. A friend of mine told me to try a single malt. By then I was beginning to tolerate Johny Walker Black and even like it a bit.

My first single malt was Glenlivet, which I liked. I keep telling the guy sitting next to me, who had been drinking vodka and cranberry juice. He loved it too and drank faster than I did. Between the two of us, we finished their stock. That's what the FA told us anyway. I had 3 or 4 drinks, I think on a 4.5 hour flight. Was that too much?
A few months ago, I was visiting a school friend of mine in India and mentioned single malt to him. He brought out Glenfiddich. It's quite expensive in India because of the import duty. I had a couple of drinks during the course of the evening, but didn;t like it as much as Glenlivet. I realise both are at the bottom end of single malts.