FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Going the Canadian Way: To Chicago with Air Canada (LHR-YYZ-ORD in Y)
Old Apr 14, 2011, 2:23 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Part VIII - The Revenge of the TSA and Homewards

Homewards and a Salute to the TSA making my life more hellish than normal

After hiking from the back end of T3 to the UK Border, I saw the IRIS booths were empty. After gazing into her mirrors, I was let into the country, and then downstairs to luggage claim where the usual dis-organisation was in full progress (for example, having to hike from one end of the hall to the other to grab a cart)

Eventually belt 3 spluttered into life and my bags appeared. To my shock. I’ll let my pictures do the talking (taken outside the terminal and at home).

More pictures here.

I know there is a need for security, but to practically destroy the bag like that is quite frankly unacceptable. And to really rub salt in the wound, no “Sorry we rifled through your bag” card.

A later inspection showed the zip was damaged beyond repair, and the bag isn’t really fit to be used again. Thanks TSA. You are really a bunch of... well, the words you’re looking for are “Sorry” and “Here’s a payment of £50 for a new bag”. Not that I’ll ever see a penny out of those bunch of comedians.

Of course, a luggage claim was filed with Air Canada, and the poor rep was shocked to see the state of the bag. A claim number was given and I was off on my merry way. UK customs of course took no notice, so I headed out and back to the mildly moist weather that was around that day.

My friend when she arrived was in hysterics when she saw the bag, but when she saw the iPod I picked up for her, she sort of started driving to a breakfast break.

A relaxing chat later, and a handover of State Quarters, it was time to head home, and off to High Wycombe to catch a train homewards.

Chiltern Railways High Wycombe to Banbury
Class 165
£19.50 SuperSaver Return to London

Well as usual with Chiltern the train was on time, and dropped me at Banbury. As it was coming from London and it was the Super-Off-Peak period, the train was lightly populated to Bicster North where it emptied before heading to Banbury - where I needed to make a change.

I could 1) wait for another service to take me to Moor Street or 2) head to New Street. Now with lots of cargo, Birmingham Moor Street and Snow Hill aren’t aren’t conducive to walking with the junk I carry, so when I saw a CrossCountry service turning up ahead to Newcastle via Birmingham New Street, this was taken as a “darn good option”

CrossCountry Trains - Banbury to Birmingham New Street
Class 220

After pulling out of Banbury, there was a full ticket check, and I promptly crashed out till about 5 miles to Birmingham.

Whilst taking almost the same route as the Chiltern service, this peals off at the last minute so it joins the “main line” via a junction, and into the mainline station. Upon arrival, it was a case of get off the train, walk slightly down the platform, and to a lift - where it was a short drag of my items to the taxi rank.

4 hours after landing, my bags were lined up outside the flat, signalling the end this trip.

Last edited by Kevincm; Apr 14, 2011 at 3:24 pm