FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Going the Canadian Way: To Chicago with Air Canada (LHR-YYZ-ORD in Y)
Old Apr 14, 2011, 2:17 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Part III - A Canadian Affair, A Lounge and AC505

A Canadian Affair - Transferring to USA.

I made it off the plane, then it was a case of “Follow the signs” through the very long walk (even with travelators) to the main immigration point. It was then a case of turn left and up the stairs to the US Baggage claim

Where I waited. And Waited. On a 1 hour and 45 minute connection, a large chunk of time was being chewed up.

40 minutes later my luggage was spat out of the system, and after a tag check, I proceeded to the US Border where I was asked my business and let through both the main border and the customs check.

It was then a case of queue up at the transborder queue with my luggage, where I was greeted politely, and stamped into the United States.

40 minutes of luggage 5 minutes of immigration (which was more painless than usual) -and I’ll say this in bold letters It’s still quicker than Washington Dulles and Chicago O’Hare!

After dumping my luggage at Security and explaining what’s in the bag, I made my way through, and headed for a pit stop at the lounge.

Lounge stop: Maple Leaf Trans-Border Lounge
Vodka and Colas consumed: 2
Bowls of Soup consumed: Well...

I was welcomed in the lounge, and directed to the drinks and food - with the agent telling me not to worry about rushing for the next flight as it was late coming in.

Lounge

The lounge itself - whilst a bit dark in places is reasonably well appointed with food options. Now US Airways, United and Continental, you hear that? FOOD. Not cruets ranch sauce and potato crisps, FOOD. The options being Minestrone Soup, another sort of soup I forget and salads - all fresh and tasty.

The soup is souper.

Drinks area

The lounge itself was quiet with all the major rushes gone, so it was a pleasant environment - much better than the transborder lounge in Vancouver which felt small in comparison to this lounge.

After a bowl of soup and a Coke Zero+Vodka, it was time to make a move down the terminal.

Overall: A nice enough lounge with proper amenities... what is the world coming too? This is the bare minimum I’d be expecting from a business lounge in the USA....

A lift down to the “transborder” terminal and once more into the public mele, I found my way to the gate, where the aircraft had not turned up. However, soon enough a little ERJ-175 trundled into view and docked at the gate. 15 minutes later the plane was turned around and business & elites were invite board. I took my opportunity and made my way down the ramp

AC505 Toronto Person International to Chicago O’Hare International, 30/03/2011
Air Canada, Embraer 175, Seat 22K, Economy Class
436 Miles flown, 600 Status Miles Earned.

The pictures

Again, I was welcome aboard, boarding pass inspected, and sent that down back plane. Slowly the plane started filling, but in all honesty the plane was half full if that.

Looking at the plane itself, this is not your typical ERJ-17x configuration. Not by a long shot. The big plush seats at the front were a hint, but whilst the legroom was the same as a normal ERJ, there were little difference - like USB power in-seat, a screen, and dread the thought - someone actually lined up the windows with the seats for once!

And on top of that, the seat next to me was spare - what more could I want?

[I]ERJ-175 Seating/I]

The doors soon closed up, and we were taxing away, with the second version of the Air Canada safety video playing. I can see why they did the video like they did - it’s pretty much the same for all the equipment bar the airplane type. Simple, effective... and repetitive... After the Safety video, there was the adverts, and them the IFE system was ready for use... except the map.

After a long taxi, the engines spooled up, and it was off in the the cloud and the sky.

Climbing out

A quick climbout and through the white stuff, the crew were released to carry out duties, where earphones were sold, and the catering trolley made it’s way down.

I mealy partook in more caffeine with a cola twist - it was turning into a long day, with more to do when I touched down in Chicago. This was served TED style, which whilst a whole can would had been nice - wasn’t the end of the world.

Coke Zero. RAR style

I took the chance to visit the small room as well - and was actually shocked how much room there was. Sure you couldn’t swing a cat in there, but the small room was larger than say, a Lufthansa 737-300 (which set standards for the word “pokey”)

All that was left to do was to watch the world pass by, and soon enough, Lake Michigan appeared, and the cabin was cleared down.

Crossing over Lake Michigan

Approaching the Wisconsin side of Lake Michigan

Final turns

The plane looped over the coast and looped inland to line up with O’Hare, and finally landed near the International Terminal. The downside of course was the 15 minute taxi to the gate - well not a downside if you’re an airplane geek, but that’s besides the point.

A few turns, a bridge and a short while later, the plane docked at E1 where everyone was released. I took my time, and disembarked, thanking the crew for their good service as well as the captain.

Overall: 1 hours sectors are hard to get a good feel for an airline - all they can do is leave an impression. And I got a darn good impression off them. The service was delivered quickly and with care, whilst the cabin was more than comfortable for the purpose. I’d go as far to say one of the best interiors for an aircraft this class. Well done!

I made my way to luggage claim, 5 minutes after I had got off the plane and made my way out, the luggage belt started moving - with my items 3rd and 5th on the belt.

Sounds good. Even undamaged. Well I counted the luggage items on the plane. 10 bags if that. Looks like an airline didn’t make that much cash in luggage that day....

Last edited by Kevincm; Apr 14, 2011 at 2:40 pm Reason: Added Content.