FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Medical Costs in China/Travel Insurance
View Single Post
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:31 pm
mnredfox
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Ok, response to jiejie's comments. If you're talking major emergency (hit by a car, need emergency surgery) then yes the Chinese medical system is not adequate. I fully agree with all of the comments on getting Chinese medical care and navigating the hospital system.

But, the point is additional insurance isn't going to help unless as jiejie points out you get the "evac" type of service that will cover major hospital fees to fly you back to the US. Otherwise, if you get any sort of care (sniffle to major ER stuff) your regular insurance should cover you, so additional insurance really won't do you any good.

If that is the case, then you need to assess your level of risk (as Jaimito points out). If you really are afraid of getting hit by a car and needing to be evac-ed back to the US, then go ahead and buy the insurance (but I remind you to read all of the fine print on such policies).

To me, the risk of getting hit by a car, in a plane crash, or something that catostrophic such that I need evac service back to the US is so low it would NEVER justify buying such insurance. But hey, that's me. If you have to buy it to sleep at night, go ahead, it's your money.

But I think the majority is with me, don't pay and don't buy.