FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Medical Costs in China/Travel Insurance
View Single Post
Old Apr 10, 2011, 8:33 pm
LHR/MEL/Europe FF
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by jiejie
This will be long response for the benefit not only of OP, but others looking into the same issue. I'm going to somewhat disagree with every single other poster above and say you need evac coverage. After living in Beijing for 10 years, I've seen what happens when a foreigner (child) is hit by a car in a Beijing street.
Could not agree with jiejie more.

Traffic rules in china are completely unfamiliar to most people, and to a child in particular (for example, green man at cross-walk does not mean cars will stop for you if you are crossing... for the most part pedestrians still GIVE WAY to cars).

Also most cars do not have seatbelts.

The initial cost of medical treatment in china may not be that high, but it will certainly be more than USD600 odd if you spend a week in hospital following a car accident (a friend of mine stayed in a hospital in shanghai for a week, for minor procedures (not in theatre) and the cost was rmb7000 for 6 days to cover the room and other minor stuff).

The emergency evacuation... Again, the cost may not be that high compared to the US, but what if the accident requires a stay in hospital of three or four weeks. Wouldn't you rather be evactuated to the states for this? The cost of a First class ticket would be a lot more than the USD600.

I cannot stress enough, for peace of mind alone, that travel insurance is essential.