FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Entertaining a 6 year old boy for 3 days in LA
Old Apr 9, 2011, 1:03 am
meballard

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by janehoya
My husband is in agreement with those of you who feel that Disneyland is a must for a 6 year old visiting LA, so off to Disneyland we go. Oddly enough my mother who is definitely a "shop-till-you-drop" type also insisted that we take my son, and claims that she will just sit on benches for long stretches. This should be interesting.
A couple tips on Disneyland for your situation:
1. If your mother is having health issues stop by City Hall (Disneyland, left side after passing under the train), or Guest Services (DCA, left side after entering the park), and explain the issues she is having. They can provide assistance and recommendations as appropriate.
2. While at City Hall or Guest Relations, be sure to get a 1st visit pin for your son (I'm assuming that is the case), and a birthday pin (cast members will be saying Happy Birthday to your son all day long).
3. Sitting on benches is actually quite practical at Disneyland (and to a slightly lesser extend DCA), as Disneyland is based on a hub design, both in general and each area, so you and your son can do multiple rides while your mother sits on a bench in the middle of each area.
4. Take advantage of fast passes as much as you can. A few important things on fast passes: only the start time of the pass matters, you can use it after the end time of the fast pass, you can get a new fast pass either at the start time of the previous one you have or 2 hours after, and both parks are separate in terms of this rule (you can get one at DCA when you just got one at Disneyland). Space Mountain is generally a good one to get early, as is Splash Mountain on a hot day, as those will run out (or in the case of Splash, be after the most effective time of use).
5. If you want to see World of Color at DCA, you need a ticket to see it from the front (a special fast pass, doesn't count in terms of holding fast passes from above). Be sure to plan on getting that fairly early (specific timing depends on which show you want to see, if the first one, the earlier the better). That or make a dining package reservation.
6. If you want to have a sit down dinner in Disneyland or DCA, it is generally best to make reservations in advance, but that depends on how busy the park is.

Most importantly, have fun.