FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OT: Taking my Filipina girlfriend to London - realistic?
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:08 am
Phil the Flyer

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by HIDDY

IIRC Phil the Flyer has a Filipina wife. He might be able to give you some advice on this.
I thank my learned colleague for the introduction. He has obviously been paying some attention.

Sixth Freedom - you are right to imagine that this might be a difficult process. What follows is a summary of my direct relevant experience of the situation you now find yourself in.

The first time (albeit 20 years ago) the future Mrs PtF applied for a UK visit visa to accompany me to the UK she was met with a flat refusal from the British Embassy in Manila. Bottom line - we believe your reasons for entering the UK are to find work.

Twelve months later - after we had married in Cebu - she applied again. Even then she was given a thorough grilling -we even had to supply a copy of the marriage certificate of my parents when we said that the primary reason for her visit was to attend their golden wedding anniversary party. She was granted a single-visit visa.

Subsequent to that visit she applied for, and received, a two-year validity multiple-entry visit visa, then a five-year validity multiple-entry visit visa (we continued to be based overseas during this time). When I subsequently had to accept a single-status overseas posting we applied for a UK settlement visa for Mrs PtF. Upon entering the UK (LHR T3) on this visa she was subject to a medical check (this included a chest x-ray).

After completing a three year UK residency requirement she was able to apply (approx 10 years ago now) for UK citizen status. This she achieved. Incidentally Filipinos/as can retain dual-citizenship.

The bottom line is this - rightly or wrongly single Filipinas are viewed with extreme caution by British Embassy immigration officials.

However, you have chosen wisely. The right Filipina can make you feel 10 feet tall. Just be prepared for a few obstacles along the way.