FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sneaky Expiration of Starwood Points?
View Single Post
Old Mar 31, 2011, 9:33 am
olddallas

Programs: AA LT PLT 3.2MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Sneaky it is

I think that the Starwood policy is indeed "sneaky" because:
1) Most importantly, there is no expiration date shown on the user's screen.
2) The T & C definition of "active" is at odds with the English meaning of the word. Any activity involving earning or using points should count.
3) Searches of the T & C for "expire" or "expiration" do not lead to the actual expiration policy.
4) Starwood is more problematic than Hilton because Starwood has nothing like the ubiquitous Hampton Inns and Embassy Suites that Hilton has.

As a matter of good policy, I would think that Starwood would want to keep all those customers who were interested enough to (1) use the web site and (2) perform some activity. As far as (3) no one has the time to read all the fine print on every T & C for everything they do. The lawyers intentionally make things difficult to read. Good management would rein in the lawyers on hiding things in the fine print - customers are not opponents in a zero sum game. I hope the Starwood lurker passes this back to management.

Meanwhile, the work around for those lucky enough to qualify is to use the associate credit cards, you can PM (include real name & e-mail) for a referral to either the Starwood SPG or the Hilton card.