FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seasttle 4 seasons does not respect the do not disturb sign
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:51 am
nba1017

Originally Posted by Dirk1609
Stayed again this weekend. Great staff, nice looking rooms, noisy doors. This time we had house keeping clean our room with the do not disturb sign on the door. We came back from lunch with the do not disturb sign still in the lock however the room had been cleaned. They did call the room first and leave a VM, that would also be disturbing the room, then they completely ignored the sign and entered. That to me is a complete violation or our privacy. When I asked the assistant manager about this, she stated it was hotel policy. Really? It was stated by the asst. that many times guests forget to remove the do not disturb sign then they return to their unclean room and are upset. To me the do not disturb sign means just that. Unless its an emergency you do not bother the room. No calls, no knocking, do not disturb. We left the room for less than a hour to go accross the street for lunch. With that in mind my partners purse was left in the room and so was a very expensive watch. Of course all of these items we still there when we returned however I would have put them both in the safe had I know they were going to be entering the room. I will never return to this hotel.

Is this normal? Anyone else deal with this type of issue.

I'd have a real problem with this if it was me. What if you were in the middle of an important conference call or the like? Having housekeeping call or barge is more than annoying, it defeats the purpose of paying for a hotel room in the first place. I've had this issue when I'm in Europe. I work on New York time while I"m there, meaning I sleep from around 5am until 2pm. If housekeeping knocks or calls my room during this time period and I have the DND out, I speak to a manager and point blank tell him or her I will not be paying the night's rate. Paying for a hotel room is paying for an undisturbed place to sleep or work. If the hotel staff can't understand this, then they shouldn't get your money.

Call the GM of the hotel, see what he has to say. If the response is that it's his policy, then I'd shoot an email to FS corporate, because it's unacceptable from a five-star hotel.