FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tailor in Mumbai
View Single Post
Old Mar 16, 2011, 2:11 am
SQ421

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by snic
It's something about how high they ride at the waist and the enormous amount of material the tailer leaves at the cuff (i.e., my American pants have about 3/4" of mateial between the fold and the seam; the Indian tailors I've used like to leave 2" or so -- maybe because this facilitates lengthening the pants if they accidently make them too short??)
Ah. Gotcha.

Haven't had a problem with the "pants riding too high on the waist". I wear my pants at the waist and never had any issues having them measure the pants exactly where I intend to wear them.

Many people in India (my old man included) seems to wear them closer to the belly button. Easily fixed by wearing the pant you'd like them copied, and they'll take the measurements at where that pant is presently sitting.

Originally Posted by snic
Of course, I could just tell the tailor not to leave such a big cuff, but the other problems are so subtle I can't even describe them.
I always found having cuffs on one's pants to seem very school boy like. Personally, I prefer the pants to be without them. I think cuff's on pants are a very north american thing as I've seen quite a few of my colleagues and friends have them on their khakis/chinos/casual trousers.

Most suit/pant materials in the 100s/120s range should be fine for usual formal wear. Most tailoring places will also carry cloth for khakis/chinos type pants.