FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Lufthansa Upgrade With UA SWU Questions/Experiences" Thread [2010/11]
Old Mar 11, 2011, 4:17 am
Zurich Flyer
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Angry Unted Paper SWU - LH refuses Upgrade

I was due to fly today from MUC to JFK with a United ticket, booking class L, on an LH metal, also LH booking class L.

A friend from the forum sent me a UA SWU. According to both the voucher's T&Cs and to the UA website, it should be good for an upgrade:

Systemwide Upgrade terms and conditions
nullnull
nullnullnullnull

1. Valid Carrier: This upgrade certificate may be used only on United, United Express or Lufthansa flights (only on multi-cabin aircraft) and not on flights operated by other airlines. Upgrade requests for flights marketed by other airlines but operated by United are only permitted at the airport on the day of travel, subject to availability.
nullnullnull
1a. Lufthansa Standby: This upgrade may be used on a standby basis, subject to availability, on the day of travel on any eligible Lufthansa flight in accordance with the terms and conditions of this certificate, except when booked in LH booking classes X, I, R, N, W, S and E. In addition L and T fares are also excluded for Intra-Europe flights. Please note: This upgrade requires a 14-day advanced notification to Mileage Plus in order to print and mail the certificate for presentation to Lufthansa on the day of departure. Please contact the MPI Service Center to have certificates printed.
nullnullnullnull
Source: UA website

Now, LH has "eco full" but not overbooked. Hence no complimentary upgrade. Then comes the voucher which should do the upgrade.

LH refuses... Now I am left in MUC... Several thousands of Euros damage... LH station manager in MUC does not even read the T&Cs...