FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lufthansa Upgrade Fares
View Single Post
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:48 pm
Boghopper

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by bosbiz
As mentioned in another post, I was able to upgrade two weeks ago at the gate at Munich using a paper SWU on a UA codeshared flight on LH metal on a W fare. Y was pretty full, but not, to the best of my knowledge, oversold.
Lucky bounce. They must not have read the certificate.

Originally Posted by lamphs
I have reviewed serveral threads and I am still confused. I want to book via .bomb, IAD->IST. I want to upgrade on the TATL segments of the flights. It looks as if UA codeshare/LH metal flights fit my schedule the best.

I want to use UA miles via the *A mileage upgrade program. But it looks as if I need to book a ticket and then request the upgrade. If I request the upgrade immediately after booking the ticket, will I hear back within the 24 hour window that I have to cancel the flight for a refund? (I have many miles and I can always change my schedule to ensure that I receive a confirmed upgrade.)

Or am I going about this all wrong?

Thank you fellow FlyerTalkers!
Put simply, *A mileage upgrades CANNOT be codeshares. Must be LH metal/LH flight number, for example. If a codeshare you cannot upgrade, not at booking, not at checkin and not at the gate. If you use a SWU on LH it does not matter if it's a codeshare, you upgrade at checkin in any case. If you use a SWU on UA and it's a codeshare you cannot upgrade in advance, only at checkin.

Originally Posted by ironmanjay
Can I upgrade SFO-FRA to F on UA codeshare LH metal Z fare with a paper SWU? I know UA Z fares are not upgradeable with SWUs but LH Z fares are upgradeable..which bucker would this fall under?
It's the metal that counts for that rule, so you can if seats are available.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 7, 2011 at 9:47 pm Reason: merge