FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gritti Palace, Venice, Italy (Pre-2013 renovations) [Master Thread]
Old Jan 7, 2003, 4:53 pm
aceflyer2

Gritti Palace report

Wanted to post some comments on my recent stay at the Gritti Palace...

The best way to describe this hotel is historical oppulence. This is a regal older property. We were given a large room with a balcony overlooking the square with a side view of the canal. The furnishings were top-notch, second to none. The bathroom was very large with 2 parts, which my wife appreciated very much. I must say the hotel was not "run down" as some have reported. Perhaps, it has been recently refurbished. The service at this hotel is best described as "aloof". The service was not bad, but I do think it could have been better.

I visited the Danelli and Europa & Regina to see the difference for myself, although I did not see a room. In all honesty, the Europa & Regina is not in the same league as either the Gritti or Danelli. It is a larger, more Americanized hotel and is not nearly as plush. (I had seriously considered staying here, but am very glad I didn't.) The lobby of the Danelli is SPECTACULAR!! But the location leaves something to be desired. It is in a very busy, bustling area, with lots of traffic. On the other hand, the Gritti is located in a rather quiet area, but very close to a water taxi stop. (Conde Nast's Gold List recently rated the Gritti several points higher than the Danelli - I believe this is accurate.)