FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bringing a Laptop, Digital SLR, HD VideoCam to India Question
Old Mar 3, 2011, 6:00 pm
rathin100

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by chicagodesi
Hello,

My wife and I will be travelling from Chicago to HYD end of April to attend my wife's sister's wedding. We will be bringing with us our personal laptop, a Sony digital SLR camera as well as a Samsung HD video camera. We may also be bringing a Barnes and Noble Nook e-reader as well. Will there be an issue with customs at HYD if we come in with so many electronics?I am a US citizen and my wife is on a US Greencard. Thanks so much!
if you want to take these things back with you declare them, you will get a form receipt of some kind if the cistoms chaps are so inclined (or they will just let you go) in which you ""attest"" that the ""concerned items"" are for ""re-export"" (never mind the etymology and for the record I think its cute :-) SHow this on your way out and pick up another piece of paper for your next trip which shows you played by the rules (they keep records) If you wife has an Indian passport they willwrite all over a page of it in charming indian bureaucratese and sramp it copiously instead of gioving you a piece of paper.... i dont know what they do with US passports i think only the US has the imperial privilege to scribble things like ""application received"" on foreign passports so it used to be a piece of paper last I checked

If you want to gift or sell these things in India or even to lose them or have them stolen, then you must pay the duty just like anywhere else. US customs when minded actually check shirts in baggage from india to see if there is wear and tear to justify their import for ""PERSONAL USE"" so dont listen those who knock the Indians on this score

The laptop can be freely brought in and taken out. One laptop per pax

btw your wife's amenity kit awaits. i need an address. Pm me