FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Power / Heavy Gym's?
View Single Post
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:36 am
aztimm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by techgirl
24Hour Fitness always seems to have a lot of "lunks" hanging out around the free weights.
I go to 24 Hour Fitness. In the average week, I'll drop by 3 or 4 different locations in the PHX area. It really varies wildly by location and time of day. I've seen some crazy lifting in the cage thing in early morning and on the rare occasions I go on weekends.

As I commented on another thread though, when I go to the Mesa Riverview location after work, it is more of a nightclub atmosphere. But I've heard there's some serious heavy lifters there in the early morning.

The best thing about 24 Hour Fitness is the price. If you're a member of Costco, they've had (maybe still do?) certificates for a 2-year membership for $299.

Oh, and the, "lunks," can be pretty nice people. Took me a while, but after I was going for 3-4 months, some of them started to give me advice, and they'll always spot for me if I ask. But it is rather annoying when I'm swimming in the morning, the pool at the Tempe location is beneath the area on the 2nd floor where the heavy free weights are. I've been startled by the sound of sudden dropping of weights, felt like the roof would come down on me.