FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Curious - threats to leave - made real?
View Single Post
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:01 pm
McFlyPHL

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
OK, this one I have to ask about. SPG and Starwood have never lied to me.
Denied upgrades when they're for sale (unless of course I wanted to pay cash or points), redemption issues with "invented" room categories, flat out lies from property managers when confronted, denied lounge access, nonexistent/worthless "alternate" amenities for Plats, the list goes on. Perhaps I had a bad year, but over my 50+ stays in 2010, SPG underwhelmed. By a lot. For a current example see the London thread during Olympic time with all the shenanigans - cancelled stays, denied rememptions. It shouldn't be that way.

Also noticed that when I tried to book rooms for family visiting DC over the wekeend, every SPG property in DC proper (including the 4 points) was 150+ while I had my pick of Hiltons and Marriotts for 90-110. No, thanks. I'll take my folks out for drinks somewhere nice for the difference. (thankfully mom doesn't drink much! )

That's not to say that I won't be spending some time at *wood. They're just going to get my bottom feeding stays this year, which will likely be just enough to eke out Plat.