FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - December - Best Month to Visit?
View Single Post
Old Feb 27, 2011, 6:53 am
CoilyKinks

Originally Posted by britenbsas
Welcome to FT and the Argentina forum CoilyKinks!

It sounds like you want to see most of Argentina on your first visit! What time frame do you have for this trip? To visit all the places listed I would suggest an absolute minimum of 3 weeks and even that would be a rushed trip in my opinion with no more than a few nights in each place. After one visit to Argentina I'm sure you'll want to come back for more so it may be an idea to focus your travels on fewer places if your time is limited.

The peak season for whale watching and wildlife spotting on Peninsula Valdez is roughly Sep-Nov. By mid-December all of the whales have left so depending on your dates you may be out of luck. Also note that December/January can be very hot and humid in Buenos Aires. If humidity is not to your liking I would suggest bringing your trip forward to November.
Thank you SO much for responding, britenbsas, and thanks for the warm welcome!

As for dates, I am try to plan my trip for 18-21 days. It is not my intent to plan more than 2-3 days in the following locations:

Mendoza (3 days)
Puerto Iguaza/Iguaza Falls (2 days)
El Calafate (2 days)
Ushuaia (2 days)
Puerto Madryn/Peninsula Valdes wildlife tour (2 days)

I wish to spend most of my time in Buenos Aires and Bariloche. I am planning to spend 5 days in Buenos Aires and 4 days in Bariloche. I heard there is lots to do in Bariloche so I wish to dedicate some time there.

As for kayaking/water rafting, can it be done in the month of December ?

And as for humidity, I come from a Caribbean island and am used to the hot weather so I believe the weather in December would be just fine for me.