FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rome: General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)
Old Feb 12, 2003, 10:28 am
TravelWeary
In Memoriam

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by anthonyanthony:
If you don't want to spend hundreds of dollars a night for a hotel and are willing settle for less than a four star hotel and out of the way, I second the recommendation for the Sheraton Four Points Roma West. I stayed there last week and think it must be one of the nicest Category 1 (2000-3000 points for a free night) SPG hotels -- it is a real bargain.

The shuttle bus not only goes to the airport -- it will also take you to the Metro (subway) Palasport station and to the city centre of Rome (it stops next to the Teatro di Marcello, which is very close to the Monument de Vittorio de Emanuele II and minutes from the Coloseum).

The shuttle runs on a schedule from 7:15am to 11pm. So if you have an early flight like I did you will have to take a taxi. I was shocked at the $50 fare for the ride! What's up with taxi prices in Rome?

The Four Points is also an excellent choice if you are renting a car.
</font>
From where did you take the $50 taxi to the airport? That does sound high. I've hired a car from a limo service to take three of us from FCO to the Westin for only 42E. This was based on a post from someone in the FT Travel forum who recommended this service. I will see what it will cost to have the Westin arrange the return. If anyone is interested I can post how this all works out.

Edited to say that I'll be traveling tomorrow.

[This message has been edited by TravelWeary (edited 02-12-2003).]