FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Leipzig, Germany [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Apr 14, 2003, 4:21 pm
JR-Flyer

Stayed aswell last weekend in Leipzig!

Saturday, in The Westin, I was upgrated (already well in advance - could check it in the online reservations) to a club level room with the splendid view from the 21. floor to the south.
Asking at check-in about a suite the lady asked her supervisor and he friendly told me, that they prepaired already the clubroom upgrade (good plat welcome amenity in the room indeed). I think they would give a suite, but I didn`t want to continue to ask.

The rooms are a bit small - 26 square meters, have a relatively big window (with that nice view to the south with that beautiful reconstructed old town, but mixed with some ugly eastgerman buildings) and the rooms have a strange mixed design (like someplaces the city). Most I liked the bathroom (nothing special but ok) the room itself was mixed with nice armchair, ultramodern (or whatever) designed glass-desk, but very old-fashioned and -looking wooden board for TV. The hotel floor was very elegant decorated (wallpaper), but the room-doors might be the same of the hotel opening of eastgerman times.
What I like to say is, that the large 27 floor building limit of course any reconstruction, but if one is done it should be more complete and not so partiell! It will take time (and some money) to make the change complete to a Westin.

Club Lounge was open after 6pm. It is located on the end of the 22. floor in a former suite.
Good opportunity to see a suite! The 2 rooms (1 to the north side with windows, 1 to the south with balcony) are a bit shorter than the normal hotel rooms, so there is a edge in the hotel building which limits the view a little bit out of the suite.
The lounge is small, maybe 8-10 places to sit, no staff (when I was there). In one room is a minibar with softdrinks and beer. In the other is a buffet with some fruit, canapees and red wine (Rioja -exellent one!- and Chianti, both with good temperature), white wine (Chardonay and one from Sachsen) and some sparkling wine. For cafe or tea you have to use the telefon to order.

Because of the small size there is no breakfast at the lounge!
I got free one at the 1. floor even I did not book it. (I don`t know if it`s their rule for all)

I was told that they start to rebuild a new Club Lounge at the 27.floor and hope to open it around October 2003. Hopefully I can visit it in Dezember (I plan to go for christmas-market)!

One thing to mention. The hotel shows in internet, hotel-directory in the room or in the elevator the Japanese restaurant Yamato. This restaurant belongs not to the hotel!
So you can not bill onto your room account and get no points!
The restaurant is exellent, but I came in a very embarassing situation with no money to pay. I went to reception that they pay out, because the hotel did not mention that special relation.
Anyway I wonder if I have to fight for the missing dining-points if the hotel advertise a restaurant as a hotel-restaurant?

At all a nice stay and they have good (and enough) staff!

Not really belonging to the topic, Sunday I stayed at the Fuerstenhof in Leipzig.
If someone make a search for Leipzig here to add my report.

The Fuerstenhofis located just 2 blocks (or 300m)from the Westin (but in the other direction than the main station) and a bit closer to the old city.
Its a elegant old house with a absolute different character like the big Westin.
Inside the design is complete and it really good combines the old atmosphere of the house and rooms with the new materials, decoration and modern furniture.
Last year I got a court-side room(free weekend promo) - quiet, not small and nice style.
This year, as Plat, I got a suite!
(Finally I realize that it was worth to make all these stays last year!)
Suites are in the bigger rooms with the windows to the main street (good windows - no noise). Superb bathroom, large elegant room room with good armchairs to relaxe, good looking double-bed (actually this could be a better one, like quality of Westins heavenly bed) and a extra entrance-room where you can leave all your belongings.
At all, this hotel is really the higher category (5*, like the prizes).