FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Re-creating a photo - To New York with UA, BA and WW.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 1:56 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Part VI - IAD-FRA

UA952 Washington Dulles International to Frankfurt-am-Main International 13/02/11
United Airlines, Boeing 767-300ER, Economy Class, 36J
4,081 miles flown 4070 Status Miles Earned.
Channel 9: On

I made my way aboard greeting the crew, and directed to my home down the back. As one of the first economy class victims aboard, I had a choice of overhead bins, and dumped my crap appropriately.

However as we were settling, the power went out on the plane. It came back up quickly, and I had a flight attendant in stitches when I stated "So the pilot forgot to feed anohter $5 in the meter?"

My seat mate came soon enough, and we both noticed that there was going to be acres of space on the flight, so he pro-actively found another isle seat, giving me the pair of seats across the pond.

From those two points, I could tell this was going to be a good flight.

The rest of the plane loaded quickly, and then my favourite version of the United Safety Video came on - the Boeing 767-300ER one. (and I'm NOT referring to the great God Jeff not blinking throughout his introduction) as we pushed back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGtcZKEUD2Q

Call me sad, or I've been overexposed to this video as I fly in UA's 767-300ER fleet WAY too much, but I've always loved the way the introduction has always been delivered in this video in comparison to some. That and I can recite the first part of the video nowdays without prompting....

The crew made sure the aircraft was buttoned up as the captain was being a bit fast around Dulles - to the point we lined up and did a rolling takeoff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GuzT3Zyyyw

The 767 took off with its usual grace, and we were up into the night sky, crossing over Baltimore, and then upwards for the long trek to Frankfurt

Baltimore

Whilst the crew were getting ready for the first service, I saw that the IFE had nothing on, so I decided to load up something that's from a long time ago in a galaxy far far away....

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away when customer service was different...

The crew were released for first service quickly.

C'mon. You should all know United's First service by now

Which then followed into the catering delights that Dulles can cook up. And for Dulles, this wasn't THAT bad, given it was a choice of beef or pasta. And I took the beef.

The tray

The beef wasn't tough, and edible, the vegetables were of a reasonable consitiancy. Even the caterers are getting creative adding carrot to the salad. The only minor letdown (as to be expected when catered from a US Station) is the desert. But I've ranted about that already.

Cleanup was quick, and soon enough the cabin descended into darkness as we begun the long slog across the pond.

Nighttime in the cabin

I woke up over Ireland, with about 2 hours to go in flight with breakfast being served over the English countryside, with the lights coming on.

It's England. Trust me on this.

Of course, this is a UA breakfast, and its the usual pastry with a pot of bacterial fermentation of milk. What were we saying about breakfast being an afterthought... this sums it up.

Soon enough, the sun had risen, and we were beginning our decent over Northern Europe, and tracking close to Frankfurt.

A few turns and after we decended, our plane's wheels planted firmly on the runway at Frankfurt am Main.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q44gY-V5MLc -Landing video

And after waiting for a few aircraft to take off, the aircraft taxied like a nut to the A gates, where an airbridge was connected and we were allowed to disembark.

The crew were still smiling and talking to passengers. I thanked the crew for their good and friendly service and disembarked.

Overall: This is the United I remember - good and friendly service, delivered no matter what. It quite frankly puts it's Continental cousins to shame after the last trip. I'd go as far as to say the crew wanted to be on this trip, and actually wanted to fly dread the thought. Excellent work - and a reminder why I pay the high fares when I have other options.

Last edited by Kevincm; Feb 21, 2011 at 2:27 pm