FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Re-creating a photo - To New York with UA, BA and WW.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 1:55 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Part V - LGA-IAD

Back to LGA.

This being a mileage run, my time was short, but as usual - well coordinated and used. Whilst I had missed out on some things (like the Intrepid or Ground Zero Memorial Museum), I have a strong suspicion I'll be back to New York eventually.

The hotel got me a livery car, that drove me back to LGA for another $25. No one was at Check-in, so I was checked in quickly, and my bag checked through all the way to Frankfurt.

Whilst I had an hour to spare before boarding, a mix of the Red Carpet Club on the outside of security plus knowing my luck long security when I needed to get to my flight equalled "get through, find power and charge".

And that's what I did.

Security thankfully was quick and painless with no nude-o-scoping. In the meantime, I parked myself near the gate and found a plug to charge both the phone and the laptop for a bit.

Ahh. The olde Tulip.

When I returned to the gate I saw my luck hadn't changed, and a CRJ-200 was sitting there waiting for me.

A portable vision of hell

Meanwhile, the gate agents were tagging the rollaboards and larger bags - thankfully, neither of mine were targeted.

Boarding was eventually called, and I made my way forward.

UA6047 New York La Guardia to Washington Dulles International, 13/02/11
United Express operated by Atlantic Southeast Airlines, Bombardier CRJ-200, Economy Class, 2A
278 miles flown 600 Status Miles Earned.

Oh heck. My favourite aircraft in the world... NOT. The CRJ unfortunately is a crammed up piece of metal with a pair of engines at the back of it that allegedly transfers people from point A to point B, in total discomfort. Which is a total downgrade from the Seat 1A I had on a ERJ-145 before the equipment swap.

At least this one isn't operated by Mesa. Small consolation I suppose. And it showed. For starters, the usual CRJ seating of low back seats was no where to be found, and on top of that the cabin was kept in reasonable condition.

Either I've lost a lot of weight or this CRJ has a slightly different configuration. Then of course, I remembered who Atlantic South East flew for - and the seat designs had a distinct "Delta" feeling about them.

The plane loaded up quickly and the doors were buttoned away with a full load to IAD.

Safety demo was done manually, and after a short taxi, we took off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxx78luWMBM

Now, my luck for this trip is holding still, as I had Manhattan to my left on take off, and well...

Soon enough the bongs went off, and a drinks service commenced. For this shorter run, a diet coke is enough to keep going.

And touch trolly, head back to the galley. Touch trolly, crush ice, head back to the galley. Touch trolly...

During the flight, the flight deck came on the tannoy, and announced to my joy that we were docking at C Concourse and not the Dulles bus station (to a minor whoop from me). This is very beneficial as it means I won't miss my short connection at IAD

As the sun begun to set, the service was cleared down and we begun the short decent into Dulles with lovely colours in the sky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IeJ-vKR6pc Landing video.

Soon enough though, we had touched down and the little CRJ trundled across the airport to gate C26 where we parked up at the ramp, and released to leave via the ramp.

Overall: Not a bad little flight. The CRJ although a hateful aircraft seemed better in this configuration for some reason. I suppose when someone looks after an aircraft, it's a good thing. And yes, that was a hint Mesa to sort your aircraft out.

A quick IAD stop

With 25 minutes till boarding for the next flight, it's a case of "guess the gate" as some of the gate monitors can be unintelligible and few and far between at IAD. Thankfully, a quick look and the departure gate listed was D1 - a short walk back to where I had came from.

Whilst I could had slummed it over to D8 for a quick lounge stop, I had my final priority of the trip - Duty Free. Normally I don't partake, but I have friends who I like to keep as friends

A quick stock-up, and the duty free was sent to the gate, as I was as boarding was no more than 10 minutes away.

A quick chat to the gate agents revealed that First and Business was going to be busy, but Economy was wide open - especially down the back.

All good for me - and the hope that my seat mate might get the hint

Boarding commenced on schedule, and soon enough mere Star Golds were allowed to board

Last edited by Kevincm; Feb 21, 2011 at 2:16 pm