FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Purchasing or Owning the Hilton Garden Inn Sleep System: The Definitive Thread
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:17 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Soft and saggy? Sounds like it's broken and needs replacement. (I am one of those who looks for a firmer mattress when sleeping on the road, though my recent Haneda Excel Hotel Tokyo and Atlantis Resort - Dumaguete experiences went a bit over the usual firmness preference - nearly board flat.)

The dial's action is very unlike the "Sleep System" bed, which "The sleep number beds work by maintaining an adjustable air layer above the mattress, and just below the sleeping surface. With the help of various coils and springs, these air layers can be adjusted. Users are provided with a remote control by which they can change the settings of the bed, and hence fine tune it to the way they want to sleep."

The HGI Sleep System bed adjusts flow between a number of air chambers by controlling interchamber baffles; a firm setting allows very little air exchange, less firm allows easy air movement.

Overly soft, boggy mattresses or those that do not change in firmness at all are very likely defective, and are not like those I have used in HGIs nor like the one we use at home. But the way the firmness changes i through more or less restricted movement between the chambers, not like inflating or uninflating an air mattress.

"1 100% all-natural Australian virgin wool cover wicks moisture from your body, keeping you warm in winter, cool in summer… and dry all the time!

2 Independent air-foam cylinders are made for long life and conform to your unique shape. Patented air valves automatically adjust the air volume in each cylinder, providing ideal support for each part of your body.

3 Inch contouring foam toppers encases the air-foam cylinders to further cradle and distribute your weight evenly.

4 Super-dense foam side rails are built to provide many years of solid, sturdy bed support.

5 Dual-adjustable comfort control dial allows you to set a different firmness."

Again, this bed may definitely not be for you - beds and mattress systems are all quite different, and it's one of those "de gustibus non disputandum est" situations.

Originally Posted by Fredd
We just tried one in the FCO HGI and seriously thought it was a Sleep Number bed that they'd failed to plug in. It was incredibly soft and saggy. Moving the dial from 1 to the max as we had in the afternoon didn't seem to make any difference at all.

It felt like the kind of mattress we've encountered in 1* hotels in our younger days. Mrs. Fredd even tried to sleep on the floor on the duvet but that was too firm.It took her back a couple of days to recover.

I'm guessing we must have been doing something wrong. I certainly didn't post here to disparage it. Any ideas what?

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 17, 2011 at 10:22 pm