FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Dusseldorf Airport Hotel DUS, Germany [Master Thread]
Old Mar 9, 2003, 12:06 pm
PremEx
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't shout. I think it had more to to with the individual agent rather than hotel policy. Our original agent just flew through check-in. With the second agent, it was a different story, and our status was given the attention it deserved without any fuss on our part.

As I pointed out, we only asked for a nicer room with 2 beds. She voluntarily offered even a Suite, but it was a King. Yes...I was the one to ask if they could get a bit creative, and they did. But even as a Platinum, I wouldn't have expected them to give us 2 rooms for the price of one as a Platinum perk! That was creative, above and beyond the call of duty, and they did good, IMHO.

It's been my experience with most Starwoods that if you just walk up and check in without pro-actively saying anything, you'll often only end up with what you are given.

But if you request something special or better after you see what they've given you, you'll find that might motivate them to do a little better. (I always wait to "push it a bit" until after I see what they automatically offer, as I like to test their auto treatment. I don't necessarily recommend this as a best strategy for an upgrade...it's just the way I prefer to judge a property)

Sometimes they genuinely don't have anything better to give you, but at least you should have gotten the in-room amenity and such, IMHO.

I wish every Starwood that I checked into hopped to attention at my presence, and immediately went to work finding me upgrades and amenities without me even asking. But in my experience, that is just not the case much of the time.

So I guess the friendly squeaky wheel does get a little extra grease sometimes.

Compared to some Starwood properties where I have to literally fight for the minimum benefits...this one was rather accommodating and helpful, after a short initial stall. IMHO.

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited 03-09-2003).]