FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MiFi Wifi Rental in Japan
View Single Post
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:12 am
NickP 1K

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Quick Review on Bic WiMax MiFi from Rentafone Japan

Got the Rentafone Japan WiMax MiFi last week.

Worked pretty good. It was delivered to my hotel before I arrived. Took a few mins to get it up and running (power up and use the WPA code on the sticker on the unit).

Battery was about 4 hours; but I had a bridge battery via USB and it kept going for 8; charged whenever I could and it was all good.

Carried it with me in my coat pocket while my Android phone used it for Skype voice calls and regular data. Latency was OK for Skype but T-Mobile WiFi Calling had some warble noise in the background (but SMS over T-Mobile WiFi tunnel WORKED PERFECT! - Free SMS's when in Japan!)

Got low of about 500Kb/sec but did peak in some areas to 4Mb/sec downstream. Upstream was on average 1MB/sec.

Coverage was OK. Only missing area was JR/subways where I know HSDPA on E-Mobile MiFi's works ; it was complete blackout between stations.

For returning the MiFi, I dropped it at Haneda airport ; at a Post Office drop box in the lower level 1 (bus pickup area) in the Intl terminal.

They emailed me Monday to advise it was received back and confirmed final charges. All in all a good experience vs. spending money roaming.

Last edited by NickP 1K; Feb 16, 2011 at 4:12 pm