FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First trip to Scottsdale Feb 17-19 - Any Recommendations?
Old Feb 9, 2011, 8:43 am
aztimm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by lsukd928
Does anyone have recommendations on must-do activities in the area?

Another question - do I need a rental car?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!
Kelly
Need a rental car? Certainly not. But given where you are staying, it would be extremely difficult to get around without one. I'm not sure of that specific property, but many of the local resorts have a car rental on-site. You should look into that, and you could just book one for a day, or two if you want.

If you've never been to Arizona before, I'd highly recommend the Desert Botanical Gardens, in Phoenix on Galvin Parkway between Van Buren and McDowell. There are both paved and dirt trails that wind around, you'll get to see many types of desert plants, with great signs, and the guides there are awesome. There is one trail that has a little climb, well worth it for some views of town.

It would be possible to take a bus down Scottsdale/Rural Road to Old Town Scottsdale and the ASU area...you could explore the galleries, some restaurants...then Town Lake and Mill Ave. Actually, there is an Old Town Trolley, not sure where it stops, but you may look into it, and perhaps your hotel has a shuttle.

Further afield, you could do a drive out on the Apache Trail to Tortilla Flat, I'd plan a 1/2 day for that. You could even do a daytrip to Sedona. The Musical Instrument Museum is fairly new, in North Phoenix. There's downtown Phoenix, with baseball and basketball, as well as the football and hockey areas in Glendale.