FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do banks compensate "no forex fee" with worse forex rates?
Old Jan 31, 2011, 6:49 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aschuett
From the FAQ at Capital One:

I think this answers what you're asking, right? I've never used a Capital One ATM (where exactly are they? ;-)) and I have done at least 7 transactions in a month at foreign ATMs. Keep in mind that foreign ATMs show money in their foreign currency (at least all the ones I have seen), and you don't know exactly what the exchange rate is, so you kind of have to "guess" how much you can take out. There are a bunch of ATMs though, so I've never had to worry about it.

In regards to ATM fees, I know nobody has brought it up before, but I've always used ATMs at the banks in Europe and never been charged by the owning bank. I've heard other ATMs can and will charge, but never bank ATMs in Europe.
My experience with Fidelity's ATM card is, if the withdrawal exceeds your daily limit (Fido uses Fifththird bank for our account and Fifththird has $500 a day limit also), the ATM would decline your withdrawal. Happened to me once when I tried to get $400 Euro when Euro was at 1.5x to USD. Changed it to 300 Euro the ATM spit out the cash. I had to pay a 6 days x 100 euro a day apartment rental in Barcelona in cash, and had to withdraw the needed Euro in 2 days.

Schwab's card has $2000 daily limit and the rep has told me he could raise it to $4000 if I need it.

I have not seen ATM fee in Europe either.