FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using Credit Cards in China - The Great CC Rip Off (dynamic currency conversion)
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:37 am
percysmith
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by mnredfox
If anyone gets instructions on how to get the shopowners to work the HSBC machines please post. I'll post the BOC instructions as soon as I get my cheat sheet translated.
Sounds difficult - there's a code needed to override HSBC CDCC.

Originally Posted by jamar
Also: To be more clear, this is what happened:
1. Waitress came over and took my card.
2. Ran it through the machine. I was still sitting at my table near the cash register/card machine.
3. Waitress comes back with DCC slip. I start to complain.
4. I look over and something's being torn off the card machine printer.
5. I go over to the cash register and ask them to reverse the transaction.
6. I notice that the machine is on the "please swipe card" screen. Pushing the "clear" button brings up a "DCC function" menu with, among other things (like the reversal function), a prominent "OPTOUT" option which requires an authorization code which nobody at the restaurant has (at first I assumed this was necessary pre-transaction to, well, opt out of DCC).
7. At this point I start to panic and check my mobile banking to be sure. It posted as DCC.
8. They start calling HSBC to ask about reversing the transaction. Mr. Impatient Hongkie shoos my sister and me away and says he'll deal with it.
9. Transaction is reversed, void slip printed. He pays in cash instead. (Originally I was going to swipe and he'd hand me the cash- quick 'n dirty way to get around times when SAFE is being stupid)
10. I get void slip.
11. On the way out he berates me for wanting to fight for "so little money. That's not being financially astute, that's just being selfish. Don't waste time on little things like this next time".
Originally Posted by jamar
In my case with the HSBC machine there was an OPTOUT option uncovered by pressing the "Clear" key pre-transaction, and I wonder if that's what its purpose is for. But it's locked out and requires an "administrator passcode". When I pointed it out I was told that no one working there knew the code. And afterwards, I still don't know if they got the passcode after calling HSBC, and if they did, if they activated the OPTOUT (since I wasn't there in the final stages of handling that little issue, as I said in the China forum, I have no clue).