FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel Hacking Cartel
View Single Post
Old Jan 26, 2011, 8:28 pm
84fiero

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I wondered the same thing, if I was the only one who'd never heard of the phrase "travel hacking"...other than some article that was linked here on FT once recently.

There are things in life that some folks choose to pay for, which they could get for free otherwise with a small investment of time. More power to them, but the price seems pretty steep to say the least. This sounds like the old "pay $XXX so I can tell you how to make millions on real estate"

Moreover, is the service also going to provide advice and tips on how to redeem those miles? Warn about things like Starnet blocking? deal with new AA/BA fuel surcharges, creative routings? I can see a lot of uninitiated people ending up very disappointed and/or not realizing the value they could get once the miles are earned.

$468 could be put to use in a lot of ways to aid in travel goals,other than paying for free info.

Sure, sometimes there's a lot of superfluous info to wade through on some threads. And the occasional snarky response to a newbie inquiry, which is unnecessary. But some of that goes with the territory of online forums.

Plus, many blogs as noted above, and others, pretty much spoon feed you the info you need. FrugalTravelGuy literally walks you step-by-step through the recent Delta AMex/MR transfer-for-SkyMiles and MQMs deal.