FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Weather Related Advice - Do they delay or cancel flights?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:40 pm
Bravado

Weather Related Advice - Do they delay or cancel flights?

Hello - I'm from NY and have a flight booked to Vegas on Thursday morning on Virgin. It's Virgin's only Vegas-bound flight of the day. As some may know, they're forecasting a winter storm for Wed night into Thursday morning. I'm obviously worried about being able to get to the airport and about the flight being delayed or canceled. No snow is forecasted after Thursday am so it seems by Thursday afternoon and evening things should be ok.

Questions:
* If it's bad Thursday morning but will clear as the day progresses, is the Virgin flight likely to be cancelled or simply delayed a bunch of hours

* If it clears later in the day, do the afternoon / evening flights take off on time or do the morning flights then go and the later flights get delayed or canceled?

It's obviously much more expensive to book a flight now but I was thinking of also booking an evening flight on another airline and then taking the credit for whichever flight I don't need. Do you think that would make sense?

Any help or advice would be appreciated as well as experience on when flights actually get canceled vs how long they would be delayed. Trying to figure out the best course of action as I NEED to get out sometime on Thursday. Evening is fine, if necessary, but I can't be delayed till Friday. Obviously I'd rather not pay $500 for a $100 flight if I don't have to but I'll do what's necessary. Thanks for any tips.