FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gold Run 2: Blame Canada! It's Only A Mileage Run anyway! (To YVR with AC, CO, BD..)
Old Jan 24, 2011, 3:32 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Originally Posted by Weean
What a timely report! I'm currently in Cancun, having got here most of the way on AC, & returning all the way on CO via IAH.

I was on the AC859 that went tech on Saturday night, and I'm not currently feeling that well-disposed to Air Canada. They put us up in the Novotel (which was a relief because they originally told us we'd be in the Ibis), but didn't bother to grant us internet access or more than one phone call of 3 minute duration. Not great when I had a connection IAH-CUN with CO on a separate itinerary which I needed to change (and incur a change fee on). I was also originally going YYZ-IAH on CO, and had just got the upgrade through, whereas now I'd be doing it in the back of an AC Jazz CRJ

It also meant 22 hours of travel yesterday, hotel to hotel, so I wasn't really paying too much attention to Jeff's message. I'll definitely be paying attention on Thursday!

Here's hoping I get a better crew than you did on the London leg, although I had a really sweet crew last night, especially the darling FA who fetched me another gin & orange even after we'd started final descent. Of course, it's not hard to do a pretty good job when total load is 39 (and I had first class entirely to myself)

Oh, and that looks like Continental's standard breakfast for flights into the UK. It is pretty yucky, but I'll take it over Air Canada's cardboard muffin any day!

Ouch Weean. Sorry for a bad pair of flights. And even sorrier that you were confined to a flying hell known as a CRJ (I've got 1 flight lined up in one next month that I'm not looking forward to at all)

I hope the rest of the trip goes well... and you get happier cabin crews than I did.

Originally Posted by Bulldog83
Long time reader, first time commenter. Always appreciate a well-done report from the back of the bus! Did you sample CO's AVOD at all? More than made up for a less than stellar crew for me on NRT-EWR.
Thanks Bulldog83 - Glad you enjoyed. I forgot to write about the IFE - how slack of me! The IFE content was actually very good, with a good selection of modern and past movies (I watched Star Trek and a couple of James Bond Movies before moving onto Family Guy).

Quality of encoding was pretty reasonable and not too droppy. The in-seat power was also excellent, but the little addition of USB power on the AC flight made a bigger difference than I realised. It made up for the crew to some point - but decent headphones help a lot!

Thanks again Bulldog83. More Y class flying next month reporting from me

For those remotely interested, the slightly restrained potty mouth sweary version (and I did restrain myself) of this trip report is now online at GhettoIFE.com for those who really want to know my feelings....