FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Feast of First Class Flying on British Airways, Qantas and Emirates
Old Jan 23, 2011, 7:13 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
There was a small delay while stairs were pulled up. A couple of health department officers came onboard and ordered the doors to be shut after them, while they waited for paperwork to be completed. Then we were allowed out.

My itinerary caused much amusement at immigration but I was soon stamped in (and I managed to avoid a stamp on a precious blank passport page). I was first at customs and was stopped to have my bags searched. Was this because I had no checked bags and was through so quickly? Ah, no it seems nearly everyone is being stopped today. No problems with my bag and I'm allowed on my way.

Until the next guy just before the exit stops me for questioning. He really doesn't like my itinerary. Perhaps I should have booked a cheap hotel even though I don't need it due to flying out late tonight? Then again, rates weren't cheap when I checked earlier - lowest being around $250 for a low quality place in the middle of nowhere. A bit rich for me when the only use I'd get would be a shower. Not even any miles since the chain hotels were over $1000 and completely out of the question. Still, I think the officer understood the uselessness of booking accommodation on my schedule.

More questions. At one point a strip search and cavity search are threatened. More questions. He disappears into a back room. When he comes back there are more questions. After nearly an hour he seems to tire of this and abruptly I'm allowed on my way.

While annoying, this is not my worst entry into a country. A little later than planned I'm off exploring to make the most of rest of the day here. It is rather hot & humid.