FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - It's Baack: AmEx MR Transfer w/25K MQM's
View Single Post
Old Jan 22, 2011, 6:26 am
DCAproducer

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
I already have the AMEX Premier Rewards Card (went for the 25k promo last year). Following the link from ingy's site gets me to a screen where it asks me to upgrade to this Platinum Card (even without changing my current card number!). I see no reference to all the benefits (mainly the 50k MR points for $1k spend, $200 off in fees, etc.). I am now wondering if this applies to ones who upgrade vs the ones who get this card for the first time. Or is it that you can only have one MR earning card at one time??

Still learning this MR thing...My Premier Rewards card is nearing the date when the annual fee is due so it will be canceled. If the MR points earned for that card have not been transferred out will I lose them IF I get this new Platinum card before I cancel the Premier Rewards card??
I'm not as familiar with the Premier Rewards card, but I've had the Platinum card for a while now.

First: If you upgrade, your membership rewards account will go with you. My cards are all connected to my business and we have a regular Amex MR Credit Card and I have a Platinum card as well. Both are on the same MR account.

Second: The Platinum card is very different than most other Amex cards. One, it will cost you $450/year. But with that you will get airport lounge access with AA, DL, and US. Second, there's a ton of other business and travel related benefits. Third, the Platinum card will advance you up to 60k MR points. Third, this is a charge card, not a credit card. Unless you ask and qualify, all charges must be paid off every billing cycle. (I'm not sure if the Premier Rewards card works this way)

Third: Call AMEX and ask about the bonus. Usually the bonus promotions are for *first time* or new MR cardmembers. The Platinum card has a concierge number, I'm sure the Gold card has something as well. They are usually pretty good at explaining these things.

Hope this helps.