FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - RR 2.0 Tips & Tricks
View Single Post
Old Jan 22, 2011, 1:37 am
ftnoob
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Note: This is a short-term transition trick only.

Some people might find themselves in this situation:
  • a very low balance of RR credits;
  • having some flights planned before 01-Mar;
  • no reasonable way to get close to triggering another award by 28-Feb.
When that is the case, you might want to "convert" the credits for your upcoming flights into RR 2.0 points to avoid the risk of having them go to waste.

I know because that was me.

Something that might work for you is tapping our old friend, the award deferral technique. If you manage to avoid having flight credits post before 01-Mar, then request past credit after 28-Feb, you will have successfully converted old credits to new points, something that is not directly possible! You will still have the option to convert those points back to credits to top off the award sometime down the road when you have a clearer picture of whether it makes sense to do so.

Just remember this is more difficult than it was in the old days. SWA will try to figure out your RR # if you leave it out, and phoning to have the number deleted from an existing reservation no longer works. You need to use name and address variations to book your ticket. Booking without being logged in to MySouthwest may also help. What you hope to see is a confirmation with something that looks like an RR number, but that is not your actual number; that means the computer thinks you are a new customer.

I wasn't able to use this trick due to RR 2.0 being announced too close to my flight date, but perhaps someone will be able to use it.