FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Weekend in San Antonio What Must We Do?
View Single Post
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:37 pm
SAT Lawyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Dinner suggestions for a great San Antonio dining experience?
Paloma Blanca is always at the top of my list for the San Antonio culinary excellence and is a can't miss spot in the city, in my estimation. I'm a huge fan of the enchiladas verdes (one chicken, one cheese). The tres leches cake is also good. Some excellent margaritas as well.

Rosario's also has some excellent Tex-Mex and the best salsa in town. Entree recommendations would include Pollo a la Maria, beef or chicken fajita nachos, and Lisa's Special. The chocolate flan is also quite good.

For more of a taste of interior Mexico, La Gloria is a relative newcomer to the San Antonio scene, and it too is quite good.

If you're in the mood for barbeque and don't mind an informal atmosphere, Rudy's won't leave you disappointed.

Avoid the eats directly on the Riverwalk. Boudro's and Paesano's are fine, but the Tex-Mex places, in particular, are tourist traps with mediocre food, at best.

Aside from the Alamo, any other musts?
In addition to the Alamo, a stroll along the Riverwalk (or barge ride) is practically obligatory. Also worth consideration, depending upon your time constraints and interests: a visit to the Missions; a visit to the McNay, if you like art museums; and, a little further afield, Natural Bridge Caverns.

I can't concur in the advice steering you towards Austin proper when your time on this trip is scarce.

Although this won't apply to your trip, for others who are contemplating a visit to San Antonio, I highly recommend dropping in during Fiesta, held every year in April.

Last edited by SAT Lawyer; Jan 21, 2011 at 11:50 pm