FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UK Departure Tax questions...
View Single Post
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:37 pm
David-A

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Not quite accurate. A savvy ticketing agent is quite capable of pricing and issuing tickets without charging the GB tax for passengers who meet the criteria for exemptions but cannot be ticketed on a single ticket for various reasons. I have personally issued hundreds if not thousands of such tickets over the years.
By 'separate tickets' I meant tickets that are 'separate' from each other, i.e. do not relate or refer to each other, and are not in the same booklet or booking etc. As such, I think 'separate bookings' might be clearer as it keeps the emphasis on the 'separate' (from each other) part, and avoids confusion due to strict meaning of 'tickets'

I think have added a few extra paragraphs of further clarification/classification to the guidance notes section since I last read it, but it is still quite clear, things that are wholly 'separate' are not acceptable for exemption:
4.4 Tickets
In addition to the time related criteria, the agreement for carriage must be evidenced by a ticket which must show the:

airport from which the passenger intends to depart
date and time of his intended departure, and
airport at which he intends to arrive
The connected flights must be detailed on the same ticket or conjunction tickets to qualify for the exemption. Tickets can only be regarded as conjunction tickets if:

a. they are in one booklet, or

b. where they are in separate booklets:

each refers to the other and states that they are to be read in conjunction, or
there is a summary of the flights constituting the passengers journey including the flights in question.
c. where the tickets are purchased online, they are purchased at the same time through the same portal.

Although the flights may meet all the other criteria for determining whether two flights are connected, they will only qualify for the exemption if the connection is evidenced on the ticket or a flight summary.