FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First time flying 1st class-Going to Maui
Old Jan 17, 2011, 3:11 pm
dcpatti

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by jiffer21225
I am new to using my miles and I did not know I could use Co or UA. I have been saving miles for years and never have used them. I finally had enough to get first class seats for my Maui trip. Sometimes it feels like there is so much info out there and there are so many ins and outs that it is hard to keep up.

Is there way I could change my tickets to CO or UA? If I can should I try? Is it worth it?
You will need to pay mileage redeposit fees and possibly new booking fees, and it all assumes there would be upgrade availability. It's worth looking for availability (please read the extremely long and detailed thread on using US miles on *A awards which will answer most of your questions) but it's a moot point if UA/CO are not giving up any seats. The redeposit fee is $150 (not sure if that is per ticket or per itinerary, and not sure if you'd incur extra processing fees on top of that). Personally I don't find CO or UA domestic F to be $150 better than US but everyone's got a different opinion! Also if you got a "saver" or "low" award then you might need to pony up some more miles to get the partner award. Another thing to factor in.