FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Information/Discussion of the Seating Updates to UA's International 777 Fleet [2011]
Old Jan 15, 2011, 4:39 pm
neo_781

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MaximusDamon
I don't know if there is a more appropriate thread on the comfort (DIScomfort) factor of the new 777 seats, but I'm posting here...

I've flown a lot on the new Biz seats on the 747 and also the 767 (but not as much as the 747) and the other day was my first time on the 777 in the new seats in Biz (SFO-LHR). I have to say...i'm not at all tall or big or broad shouldered or overweight (5'9" 165) and I was extremely uncomfortable. The seats for the 777 drop 3 inches in width from the 747s and 767s and are only 20.5" wide!!! And trust me...you really feel it! Packing 8 seats across is TIGHT. The economy seats are 18" so you only get 2.5 extra inches in business class!?! First class drops a whopping TEN INCHES in width over the 747s and 767s to be only 21" inches wide (31" on the 747/767 in First).

UNITED...ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I have never complained about the seat width because it never even crossed my mind until this flight, so I can't possibly be the only one complaining about your seat width!! I was literally rubbing shoulders with my neighbors the entire flight (got stuck in a dreaded middle seat) and when reclined I felt like i was sharing a bed with the other middle guy...there is maybe 2 inches between the bed/seats! His legs were rubbing against mine...

I seriously think United needs to STOP reconfiguring the 777s and rethink this. Continental's reconfigured 777s look like a much better layout with only 6 seats across. If this is really the future, I will need to figure out a way to avoid these configs completely and only fly the CO aircraft or avoid 777s altogether (which is hard since there are so many). I'm really really disappointed...and just shocked that United thought this was a good plan.

If United wants to SELL Business Class seats on the 777s they can forget it. Once everyone wises up to the new config, forget it. This is not even a competitive product with the bus-like interior of 8 seats across (economy is only 1 more seat across at 9) and we're all looking at each other because of the forward/rearward thing (which is fine on the 747 and 767 - never bothered me before, but this flight with the narrowness...you just really notice how crowded it is). If United wants to keep packing premium cabins with upgraders and mileage tickets then I guess this is just fine...but they can count me out. Both of my neighbors were complaining about it the whole time and were saying they would never pay for Business Class on United again. There's a lot of competition for your Business Class money and these seats are NOT competitive. BA has great new seats in Biz - very private and the other good airlines are giving MORE privacy in Biz PLUS lie flat...not making this kind of trade off. Try it for yourselves...maybe the window/aisle is better, but trust me there is no way I would ever pay the price to sit in any of the middle seats and there are 10 of them for sale on every new config 777. And there is ZERO storage space anywhere especially in the middles (again, I always sit upper deck where there is a ton of storage with the side lockers...this was a rude awakening). The FAs even seemed embarrassed...Ugh!

Anyone else notice this and feel the same way or am I out on a limb here?
I have no experience with the new seats on the 777 so I can't comment but I hope for all our sakes that its not this bad and maybe you were just having a bad day ... dare to dream.