FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Palace Hotel, Moscow, Russian Federation [Master Thread]
Old Jun 28, 2002, 7:19 pm
Nevsky

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
The Sheraton Palace is on Tverskaya-Yamskaya, which is the main boulevard going north from the Kremlin. It is a pleasant hotel. They have a great breakfast buffet there. As mentioned earlier there are twenty-four hour groceries nearby and an ATM (at a bank) about a block away on Tverskaya. Most ATMs have English instructions, but not all cards work. There are also lots of currency exchange kiosks with very good rates.

I never got more than an upgrade to a SPG floor even though I am platinum. Last time I mentioned that in the comment card and got an email soon thereafter telling me to send an email before my next trip. I, unfortunately, have not had a chance to go back in the last six months. I was supposed to be in Russia this week, but had to cancel my trip.

It is a really good idea to get picked up at the airport. The hotel will do it, but if you email me I can give you the name of my driver there. I think he charges around $40, which is less than the hotel. He has a nice Mercedes and is a great person. More reliable than anyone. He once waited at the airport for me six hours. The hotel person once disappeared quickly when there was some confusion over which terminal I was at. I think he will also take you around Moscow for around $10 per hour. His English is not very good, but his wife and son speak excellent English and you can call them.

The local newspaper in English, The Moscow Times,
is very good. It has good restaurant reviews. You also might want to look for a copy of Exile if you want to find out about the Nightlife in more detail than you can imagine. It is also on the Web.

Try to take a trip to St. Petersburg to see the Hermitage. It is worth the trip. Unfortunately, the Nevsky Palace is no longer a Sheraton. There are some other good hotels in St. Petersburg though. If you need a driver there, let me know.

If you go to St. Petersburg, try Pulkovo Airways. I suggest the Business Class. It is not much more and the caviar and salmon make a great meal for a one hour flight.

Two great guides to Moscow are Lonely Planet and TimeOut Moscow.

Remember, the fall can get pretty cold in Moscow.