FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Yellow Fever Vaccination - Requirements for Africa
Old Jan 10, 2011, 8:29 am
Cheetah_SA

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by manneca
It seems to me the question is whether you will be denied entry to SA because you are coming from a country with yellow fever. I have no idea what the answer would be.
That is indeed the question. And I'm afraid I cannot give a definitive answer. My gut feel says that as the OP will not disembark in Dakar it will not be necessary. But rules are sometimes illogical.

The worst that can happen if one arrives without it is that they will force one to take the shot at JNB (for a fee of something like USD50 IIRC). A search will uncover the discussion that revealed this.

I am quite surprised at the possible side effects. I wonder to what extent it they are related to existing conditions and known allergies? Among my circle we think nothing of keeping our yellow fever shots up to date as you never know when you will pop off to a country where it is endemic and then be asked for it on your return. Now I am surprised that no doctor has ever mentioned side effects to me.