FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aloft Brussels Schuman, Belgium [Master Thread]
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:18 am
PointWeasel

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Just back from my mini-RTW over the holidays and I had a stopover in BRU for the first time. I avoided the older Sheraton at the airport and took an ancient train for 5 euros to Central Station where I saw the Le Meridien mere feet away. I wanted to try the aLoft Schuman given that I have stayed in the Montreal one a few times and wanted to compare. I attempted to grab a taxi and all of them wanted 20 euros for the short trip. Yes, its New Years Day but still - they would prefer to stand and chat and smoke all night rather than actually drive. I finally had the Meridien call a cab and the nice guy honoured the metered fare which was refreshing.

The entrance of the aLoft Schuman is very similar to Montreal in most ways but the gentleman at check-in was refreshing after encountering cranky Belgians at the airport, on the train and the taxis. He was pleasant, acknowledged Plat status, and asked whether I had ever stayed at the Montreal one, being from Canada. That was kinda cool I thought.

I went up to my corner room (not sure if that was an upgrade or not frankly) and noticed the similar layout to Montreal, however, there were some quirks. The swinging door into the bathroom is crazy. The door smacks right into the room safe so I had to make up a password to prevent the door from whacking the safe door each time. Also, the shower area needs a glass enclosure in my opinion but perhaps it is just a European thing.

The other quirk was that the desk working area was facing a wall rather than out a window. Felt a little bit like detention.

Overall, the price was great for Belgium. The room was new. The front desk staff outstanding.

Now that Brussels Airport? Ugly. Ugly. Ugly. The newer wing is fine but the up and down and around to arrive at baggage claim is so 1980s.