FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Yellow Fever Vaccination - Requirements for Africa
Old Jan 9, 2011, 1:07 am
Thalassa

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
Originally Posted by martha skol
been getting conflicting opinions and was hoping to hear from someone who's done this recently. We're flying SAA from DC to Jo'burg and the plane stops to refuel in Dakar, Senegal. They don't open the doors and they spray the plane before it takes off again. So do we need a yellow fever shot or not? There are apparently some serious side effects so our dr in DC is reluctant to give it unless it is absolutely required. Thanks in advance for any help.
Some countries require yellow fever vaccination, but only if you are actually entering the country. So, there is no legal requirement, as you are not going to go through immigration (I am not sure if Senegal requires the vaccination in the first place).

Yellow fever is transmitted by female mosquitos and getting a mosquito bite resulting in infection during a refuelling stop is more than highly unlikely.

I would not take a shot under these circumstances (I actually have taken the yf shot but that was for extended travel in the Tanzanian and Ugandan back country).

Cheers,
T.

PS. Welcome to FlyerTalk and the Africa forum! This is a great community, hope you stick around and share your experiences with us.