FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Confused on what I can carry on with airtran.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 1:13 pm
Meggers_018

Confused on what I can carry on with airtran.

First off, this is my first time flying and really first time traveling on my own. I usually go with my husband who takes care of everything for me, but now it's just me.

I'm going to be flying Airtran next weekend from Richmond, VA to Bloomington, IL with a stop in Atlanta. As this is only going to be a 3 day visit I am not planning on checking any bags, just taking a duffel bag as carry-on. This is also January so I will be needing my coat as well. Airtran's website says 1 carry-on bag and 1 personal item. Will I need to pack my purse into my duffel so as not to go over this limit?

Would any of you recommend getting a small wallet to put in my pocket just in case my duffel gets separated from me (example: I'm sitting in row 12, and only overhead space is all the way in back of plane or I'm out of luck and have to check bag)?

What about the book I'm planning to read during flight? Will I need to pack that into duffel and get it out before trying to get bag into overhead?

How helpful is staff with getting bags into overhead...I'm only 5 feet tall and can't reach most things over my head, will they help me to get bag in if I can't reach?

Also, should I do the 24 hour check in online for both flights at the same time, or should I wait to check into flight leaving ATL until I get there?

I think that everything (at least for now). Any other recommendations for first time flyer you can think of?

Thank you all for any help!