FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta overtakes AA at RDU
View Single Post
Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:25 am
FlyingHigh20

Originally Posted by DaveNC
Yet meanwhile they have started up direct flights to MCO, Hartford, Columbus, and St. Louis. There's an interesting take on it here that basically suggests DL has picked up flights that have moderately high traffic but that that no one else seems to want (and thus no competition), but that doesn't explain the new direct to MCO. They must be trying to step up the competition with WN at that airport.
Well Columbus and Hartford have always been larger focus cities for DL, so it makes sense that those cities would be served from RDU. MCO is also a huge "focus city" for DL - but more so I think you are right in assuming its in response to WN. Delta is the second largest carrier at MCO, with WN being number one. With the AirTran merger, its going to throw them even further behind in number 2. WN will be their biggest threat (making the merger for United/Continental an after thought to them). I'd expect to see a DMQM promo next year built around cities where the AirTran and WN merger will hit them the hardest (MCO and ATL are probably the biggest hit - but I doubt Delta will do a DMQM out of ATL) .