FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which are the Most Extraordinary Hotels in the Fairmont Group?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 7:13 pm
point bonita lighthouse

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, ICG Platinum Royal Ambassador, Avis President's Club
Which are the Most Extraordinary Hotels in the Fairmont Group?

In my stays at different Fairmont hotels I have found some of their hotels extraordinary with large tall ceilinged classical rooms and suites with stunning views. I would put in this category the Montreux Palace, the Banff Springs Hotel, Chateau Lake Louise, the Savoy, The Plaza

Then there are others while nice --I would subjectively put in totally different tiers.
An intermediate tier the Orchid in Hawaii (the weakness of the rooms), the Sonoma Mission Inn, San Francisco, Seattle, etc.
And finally a third tier where I would include such hotels as Newport Beach, etc.

I am extremely interested in what hotels in the Fairmont group other members feel combine extraordinary architecture, beauty and views well worth the trip?

This is an update on this thread to summarize the input from members as well as input from some veteran Fairmont President’s Club representatives. I have restricted it to a top 10 destination/hotel list and will continue to update this list as additional members input comes in. One of the attractive features of the hotels that are proximate by car is that they are conducive to a unique travel experience. In the three that have mentioned below I have anchored the group with what is perceived as the most extraordinary of the hotels. This of course is a very subjective first cut list but I would appreciate commentary on whether the hotels on this list really deserve to be on this list and in what order.

1) Banff Springs with side trip to Chateau Lake Louise and/or Jasper Park

2) London- Savoy Hotel

3) New York- The Plaza

4) Le Chateau Frontenac with side trip to Le Manoir Richelieu

5) The Montreux Palace

6) Vancouver - Pacific Rim and/or Waterfront

7) San Francisco Fairmont (tower) with side trip to Sonoma Mission Inn

8) Seattle - The Olympic

9) Shanghai - Peace Hotel

10) Hawaii - the Orchid

Last edited by point bonita lighthouse; Jan 25, 2011 at 4:11 pm Reason: Update