FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Breakfast and managers evening reception at Embassy Suites
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:55 am
kymbakitty

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
OP...

Originally Posted by It'sHip2B^2
I like ES because of the breakfast, the manager's reception, and the workout facilities.

One thing I will say for the chain is that it is in no small part responsible for my weight loss. When I started Weight Watchers last year travel was a big problem. But ES has great food choices. They can make you an omlette any way you need it. No oil? No problem. Egg Beaters or whites? Sure, which do you prefer? Need fruits and veg? We've got you covered! Tired of being subjected to other's poor programming tastes? You can have your own TV in the fitness center! Feeling peck-ish at 3PM? Care for a banana? Need a smart dinner? You've got a mini-fridge and microwave and we'll provide the crudités. ES nights are some of my best weight loss days. You can't get that at most other hotels.

Actually, nothing is more unpredictable as the workout facilities at these properties!!!! (All properties, I suppose.) Some of the workout facilities haven't been updated since the hotel was built. Some don't even have water or santi-wipes, so I always bring my own.

A few years ago, I stopped going to the ES. For the same reasons you mentioned above (being able to stay OP w/WW) is why I stay at the Homewood Suites. A full hot breakfast is wasted on me. Half the time, the ES don't have fresh fruit anymore and the Hampton Inn has a better selection of fruit. I don't eat a big breakfast....I take a few Vita-tops with me and, yep...you guessed it, Homewood Suites always has a TOASTER! I have a Babybel Light and some greek yogurt (don't ask me how/why, but I can take greek yogurt through the airport x-ray without incident!!!) and I'm out the door. So I don't even bother going down to that crazy breakfast place. I always bring my own coffee (have for 15+ years--even on vacations) so I don't need to mess with their coffee either.

As far as the alcohol--I haven't seen "good" wine or "good" beer served in a very long time. I won't waste my calories on the likes of Bud or MGL...nor Canyon Creek Merlot! Some ES have Salmon Creek, and if they have a cab, I may partake. And every once in awhile they would have Firestone on tap (brewery in Buelton, CA) or Sierra Nevada, but those days are over. I could care less about liquor...if you travel for a job, you pretty much have to mirror what you do during the week if you are not on the road. I don't have a couple of alcoholic drinks on any weeknight when I'm not on the road, so I don't even feel moved to get a beer on a Tuesday night while in the field!!

What I dislike most about most ES is the "dungeon-like" atmosphere in the rooms. It is so dark in the living rooms. Although there are a few that have been remodeled and are pretty nice, generally speaking, I will choose a Homewood Suites property any day of the week over an ES.

And if the exercise facility is awful...there is typically a 24 -hour fitness not too far away.